Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Nakeempa Community

Footing, as they say

Or trying to use the vehicle to get into town

Even the Nurse's honda is slightly unreliable
But if you stick around, you're always offered a meal
or a baby (this is Luyando, which means love)

or time with whatever other company is in the vicinity
But no matter what Isaac is usually by my side


Especially when his mom is washing his little brother



My friend and neighbor Mr. Choonga (a fellow teacher) is also around quite a bit


But whoever's around is usually willing to go search the trees for some fruit




And if it's Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday you can hear the choir, even from afar



So my novelty is wearing off, but the kids still find ways to be fascinated by me...or by my watch



The stares have turned to smiles though


And now I at least feel like I blend into gatherings like this baptism at the dam
I have learned to loiter on many a porch (here chatting with other teachers)


and to make regular my visits to the clinic

but mostly I've learned how to appreciate just being...and though communication is still difficult, I find new ways each day to see the beauty of Zambia and it's people

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, very interesting pictures. Oswin