Saturday, March 7, 2009

a penny for your thoughts

I don’t actually have a surplus of cash on hand, let alone hundreds of pennies for all of you. Kwacha probably isn’t the currency you’d be hoping for either, but I could use some pro bono advice, or merely your thoughts on the matter (This applies to everyone reading).

My future, that is, and the question at hand is nursing school. I know I still have about 5 months to go, but seeing as how the last half of anything and everything in my life has blown past me like a hurricane, I figured I’d try to be proactive this time. So as an update and a way to provoke your opinions, I wanted to share my current ideas about my future. (I know one of the only trained psychologists reading is my Dad, but work with me). I’ve learned here that planning usually doesn’t result in exact expected results, but I do think it’s important to plan this sort of thing.

So there it is. I’m thinking of starting nursing school upon arrival in Pennsylvania. The reasons are many, but mostly I think I would really enjoy it. It would be a 2 year masters program which may lead me elsewhere, but could lead me back to a complimentary masters of social work post graduation. The latter is what I previously considered, but the GREs are still a future goal and I know that as I come back to the States, I’ll need to involve myself somewhat immediately. It will likely be a tough transition so I think a quick move into a program that seems exciting, fulfilling, and stable could be positive. That said, who knows what will happen. I’m open to suggestions, comments, or questions. Give me any of your thoughts, and if they’re worth it, I may give you something monetary…but probably not :)

9 comments:

Ken Byler said...

My thoughts may not be worth a penny but I have always believed that we should "follow our hearts" as a clear sign of the passion God has given us and the destiny we were each created to complete during our time here on earth. If nursing is in your heart and you have a passion about it than trust your instincts and do it. Release yourself from the expectations of others, including parents and friends. Be true to your authentic self. All the money in the world won't make it any clearer than that.

Unknown said...

When you mentioned nursing in a previous post, I almost jumped in and said "go for it!" but decided to hold my tongue. Upon being invited to comment however, I readily affirm this possible direction. You certainly have the aptitude and people skills to succeed in what is a challenging environment. But more importantly, nursing is a profession that takes the whole person (both care giver and care receiver) into account and in so doing, is applicable to SO many settings. It's the potential for autonomy, creativity, and accompaniment that have been the most rewarding parts of my career. And though I find myself morphing slightly, my identity as a nurse will always inform what I do. So yes- open your heart and mind, consider the input of others, but mostly let God work in you and trust that your decision - whatever direction it takes you - will be a good one.

I love you Ashley. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.
Beth

Danimal said...

It's a career that I am continuously rewarded with and I know it will do the same for you. Simply put, you would make an amazing nurse.

Unknown said...

i think it would give you a great chance to be hands on, and a good period of time to help you decide if you want to move on to psychology. have you thought about PA (physicians assistant) instead of nursing? at one point i researched it a lot, and it can allow you to do more technical things. xox

Mark DiGiannantonio said...

Hey Ashley,

Thank you for taking the time to post these 'blogs'. Beautiful writings. Hope all is well with you. Cherish every second.

don g said...

I really believe that with your experiences during college and in Africa, that you could do that. I sense that you are feeling a calling to this and therefore you should go for it. You would make a wonderful nurse.

Sheldon Good said...

Ashley, sorry it has taken your prodding to call me to comment. I'm surprised, kind of, to post this after my father (or who I think is my dad...). I think your sincere and caring demeanor would carry you wonderfully in a nursing profession. That said, I think these spiritual gifts would carry you just as well in a social work setting. You've already exemplified that such gifts are carrying you quite well in a Zambian setting. You have my blessing. As per your earlier blog, I've shared my thoughts -- though I don't expect you to lend me any Kwacha.

eileen said...

Ashley- I ditto others. you'd make an awesome nurse, but I know you'd do anything well. I have loved my 25 plus years of nursing, and am finally going for my master's as a nurse practitioner. There's lots of avenues you could pursue in that field and it's also something you can do forever, in any country, as service to others or as a career. I'd say go for it after lots of prayer and guidance from others.

Jamie Sanfilippo said...

Sorry Ashley, I am gonna be the voice of dissent here. I say don't go back to the States and study nursing. Nope! Extend your service with MCC and stay right here in Zambia. If not Nakeempa, then make the short trip over to Macha. We'll gladly have you here with us!

Now, I don't want a penny for my thoughts. How about some kwacha? A 50 kwacha note... that's worth roughly 1 penny, right?

:)

when you are next online, you can check out our blog. we've started it.

africa.themeetinghouse.ca