Friday, July 10, 2009

Letting go

Listen, Learn, Let go.

11 months ago I let go of my life in the US and arrived in Zambia. In one week I will let go of my life in Zambia, and arrive in Philadelphia.

In the beginning I learned to let go of family and friends, culture, food, efficiency. Somehow that was all ok.

Then I let go of my identity as I thought I knew it, and my sense of place in the world. Harder.

I was forced to let go of expectations, of what I knew to be "normal", "trustworthy", "respectful", "helpful". I've let go of my previous understanding of "poverty", "development", "aid", "love". I let go of ideals, to try to sort through the reals. Frustrating.

Let it go.

It took a while, but finally I feel as though I've let go of the frustrations which clouded me with cynicism and doubt. I've let go of loneliness overwhelming and stunting my sense of self-worth and purpose. I've let go of despair. And most importantly, I've let go of anger.

And here I am. One week remaining. And only now do I feel as though I have let go of enough baggage to introduce a place for Zambia in my heart. Only now can I see the meaning in relationships and experiences. Only now do I see how letting go was an integral part of listening and learning, for myself and others.

And now I'm forced to let go once again. To the things and people I've listened to and learned from. They will forever penetrate who I am.

I say goodbye. Goodbye to students, and friends. Goodbye to guinea fowl and groundnuts, to pounding and peeling. Goodbye to bucket baths and squat peeing, skirts and chitengis. Goodbye to ironic misspellings and strange zanglish terminology. Goodbye to sharing nshima, ofals, sour milk. Goodbye to traditional weddings, funerals, kitchen parties. Goodbye to fetching firewood and water. Goodbye to teaching maths and science. Goodbye to learning tonga. Goodbye to my host dad's firm hand and soft heart. Goodbye to my host mom's laughter. Goodbye to spoons and crazy 8s with my host brothers and sisters. Goodbye to the precious, crusty old men and women. Goodbye to the babies carrying babies. Goodbye to my "home" in Nakeempa, my home in other people's homes, my home in Zambia.

I let go of my life here, so that I can continue to listen and learn from the past, the present, and what is to come.

Nearly a year has passed. I've learned a lot. But mostly, I've learned to let go.

7 comments:

Mrs. Galore said...

Can't believe the year has passed.

I love you.

Rosabethbk said...

Amen to learning to love a place only when the end is in sight. Perhaps I/you/we should have learned faster... but probably not. Such is life.

don g said...

Hi Ashley: Wow you are almost finished. I hope all your connects, flights, etc go well for you. I can not wait to see you. God speed

Unknown said...

I'm with you 100 percent. I keep wondering whether I'd be feeling this way if I wasn't leaving, if I had decided to stay. See you soon!

Sheldon Good said...

Ashley, I guess you're either back in Harleysville or Akron. Both realities will feel eerie, I'm sure. Hope to see you to soon, to catch up, to prepare for our speaking gig, and to "let go" of our apartness! -sheldon

Zelek said...

hey sista i hope the west coast will get a chance to welcome you back to the states ...

peace/love

Z

Kristen said...

Letting go is so hard for me. I had a bit of a different problem. I was only there for 2 months and I've been home for a month now and I feel I learned so much in Zambia. I wasn't ready to leave, to let go of the relationships I made with the teachers, the students and my bamama. I still feel 2 months was not long enough.
Time Out. You should become a writer. You have a way of writing that I connect with :) Keep it up!