Thursday, June 4, 2009

Strikes

The majority of the Zambian population (who actually work in the formal sector) work under the government…the Ministry of this or that. Privatization is much needed, seeing as corruption is blatant and obvious. The president, Rupiah Banda, recently decided to do something about the average mortality rate (39 yrs) by purchasing 100 beautiful hearses to take the bodies away in style…logic a bit reversed you might say. But what do you do? Zambia is always spoken of as a “peaceful” country, which is true in certain senses. So how do you fight for rights of the masses who are barely scraping by as subsistence farmers, much less those who are earning scanty salaries? I completely understand the desire to strike against that and those who rob you of adequate allowances, food for your family, education, health. However, the long term effects may not be so positive in all respects (then again I remind myself that forward planning is not a cultural value, contrary to my impulses). Most schools have had no teachers in the last 2 weeks since the strikes began, and a few in Nakeempa have joined the efforts…or lack of effort. Sitting at home awaiting Banda’s reply to their inactivity. The nurses have now joined as well, and the domino effect continues as the staff of most institutions drops daily, refusing to be of service to their fellow Zambians. Students aren’t learning, so they’re running the streets. ¾ of Choma hospital was given the boot, and those expecting to be operated on were handed a panado (Tylenol) and politely told to return next month. Of course the police force isn’t allowed to strike, so their own brand of corruption is now more likely. Yesterday I was asked if I was going to join a union, and I had to remind them that I don’t get paid by the government J Rather, I’m trying to make up for those who don’t work. I guess it’s a welcome change to invite busyness into my life. I’ll not refuse the clusters of students coming to me after school asking for extra help. It’s just a shame that as behind as they already are, they fall further and futher away from sufficient education. I have no answers, only more questions about the results of this movement against the Movement…for Multiparty Democracy (MMD). Ah the contradictions we humans hold so dear.

1 comment:

Patrick Watters said...

Wow Ashley! Patti and I have been praying for you daily . . . not even sure how long you were to be in Zambia, but just continuing in prayer. Cody just linked us with your blog, so thought we'd leave our greetings and blessings here. Pat & Patti Watters