Saturday, August 9, 2008

Nakempa!

I never intended to start a blog. In fact, I had every intention of never starting one. But here I am, anticipating infrequent access to email correspondence and submitting to semi-regularly posting my thoughts and experiences online…so here goes, my apologies.

That said, I appreciate all those who are interested (or feel obligated) enough to read it, and am looking forward to all of your responses/updates/brief hellos. However, knowing me, I’m liable to fall behind on getting back to you, so know in advance that you are loved and appreciated and I truly feel your generous and prayerful support.

I’m not really sure where to start, so I guess I’ll describe a bit about why I’m writing.

On August 16th, 2008 I’ll depart from Harrisburg, PA and after 2 days of layovers in DC, London, and Nairobi, I’ll finally arrive in Lusaka, Zambia (the capitol). I’ll be spending a year doing voluntary service through MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) with a program called SALT (Serving and Learning Together). I’ll be living in a village called Nakempa (24 km outside of Choma) and teaching at the Basic School there. Details about that will likely have to be specified at a later date, but mainly I’m planning on learning and gaining much more than I will ever be able to teach anyone. My host family will actually be the Headmaster and his wife and daughters. I just got this picture of them from Eric and Kathy Fast, my country reps, a few days ago! Beyond that, I’m trying to have few expectations.





What I do know is that I don’t know a whole lot, and am expecting to be challenged in every way possible. I can read all I want to about oppression, poverty, AIDS, and the multitude of other issues I’ll inevitably face, but unless I learn to live among these things and know the people they affect I can’t even begin to understand. What I do believe I can try to do though is learn. I can attempt to use my privilege to listen, love, build relationships and to empower. I may never see the fruits of these efforts, but I hope to continue to learn better how to be faithful, not effective.

In a sense, I am ready. I have packed and prepared. But I know so very acutely that this preparation is not enough for what’s to come. So I am not ready, but this surrender sets me free.


“Understanding the suffering is beyond me

Understanding the healing is too

But in this moment I am here

Use me”


So thank you one and all who are keeping me in thought and prayer. It’s because of the many deep and meaningful relationships that I feel at all empowered to take this journey. It is with your support that I am able to have this experience at all, and I feel as though I can’t fully express my gratitude to you each individually. Know that you have inspired me and supported me in ways I can never repay, and that your ongoing support will sustain me.

peace,
Ashley

5 comments:

Mrs. Galore said...

I will be your most fervent blog reader!

Google Maps says:

"We could not calculate driving directions between Seattle, WA 98107 and Zambia."

gracie said...

Te amo mucho mi amiga y verte pronto:)

Unknown said...

Ashley,sorry it's taken this long to fiture out where your blog is, but sure worth finding. We're thinking of you daily. Thanks for your wonderful note! Love, Michael (King, on Katie's accountg)

Katie said...

Hey Ashley, beautiful accounts, have you ever considered being a travel writer? It sounds like you are having an amazing and life-changing experience and I am so jealous:) BTW, did you tell us you broke your arm, or did that somehow fly under my radar? Well, hope to hear more from you soon. Love you and miss you, Katie

don g said...

Hi Ashley; Finally got to read some of your blogs. Sounds like you are having a great time. Trust you are doing well. God speed. DGood