Sunday, May 24, 2009

An Educational Tour

Chickens and mealie meal, dry beans, cold drinks, cabbage, a suitable semi-reliable transport truck, instructions on behavior, note-taking, packing lists and laundry, crayons, plans.

So many things to keep track of, so many people to put trust in. Fingers crossed. The result unseen, unknown, even still, maybe forever. Educational tours are no small endeavor in this setting. In fact, it's quite possible that it will be the greatest adventure of their lives.

28 students ages 14-21 piled into the blue truck. Limbs which were not squelched by bags or other people, protruding through the ripped canopy. I pulled myself up to scan for my spot only to meet questioning eyes who weren't ready to answer my enquiry. There's always room for one more, except when there's not. My legs went numb, but the blood not spent circulating through my lower extremeties was sure pumping through the questions in my heart and mind. Firstly, will we actually make it across this bridge? And if so, will we make up the time lost on earlier police predicaments and chicken issues? Will the schedule actually go as we had planned, and will we really see the whole hospital, all the school, the research center, and the airstrip? Will they keep their food in at both ends when they find out they're taking flight? Will they understand enough english to be appropriately shocked by what they see and hear, yet not so overwhelmed by the electricity, hot showers, and buzz of hospital activity that they become completley immobilized?

They listened, they learned, they saw, they touched, they questioned, they ate, they slept. They experienced things they never had before. Their own bed and blankets, not a dirt floor shared by other family members. They ate first, priority theirs, not secunded to their elders. They got x rays of their bones. They played on a jungle gym. They took flight. They smiled more than I've ever seen them smile, and they hugged me individually, for once without fear. They now want to become doctors, accountants, nurses, pilots. They want to see more outside of Nakeempa's limits.

They are happy in a way I've never seen before, and this makes me happy. If that's all I accomplish in one year, I'll somehow feel I had purpose. And for those of you who contributed toward this incredible journey, you will soon see the impact you had. Thank you again : )

http://picasaweb.google.com/machaworks/NakempaSchoolFlightsOverMacha#

2 comments:

Rosabethbk said...

Congratulations on a big accompishment for all involved!! Seriously, not that one blog post can tell the whole story, but that probably doesn't matter because the story will continue to unfold individually for all those affected by this adventure. Good work, SALTer.

don g said...

Hi Ashley: You have such a way with words, I can not even begin to describe it. I truly enjoy reading your entries and they way you write. I also loved your pictures of the trip with Matthew. The scenery was beautiful. Makes me jealous. Hope you are doing well. Blessings, Don