Sunday, May 24, 2009

She

Her skin wrinkles up more when she smiles. Deep grooves creating cravasses which meander down the valley towards the corners of her river mouth. Her eyes are big blue sky sitting up above sharp cheek bones, high hills drawing down toward her clean marbled smile. Dentures. The only thing fake about her. Squared perfectly at her parting lips. If only gravity weren't so cruel to keep pulling them from her gums with each word. She grabs my hand with her sandpaper grip and pulls me to look inside deeply. "Where's my suga" she sternly enquires and only cracks the hills of laughter after my accumulating tonga wit. I submit to gifting 1kg and see the sparkle of a woman who's eyes show gratitude only suffering can bring. 80 plus years of life gives her a clarity that I see but rarely. She knows things I have only splashed through in a shallow puddle. Her path has taken her across oceans of understanding, save having ever stepped out of the village. She encompasses Zambian women to me, and experiences I don't know how to talk about. Walking barefoot with a confident, yet broken gait. She is mostly silent, yet has a firm depth in which I sense anger, pain, fear, loss, betrayal, apathy, courage, confusion, understanding, strength, compassion, love. She is solitude, playing with solidarity, and mere words don't encapsulate her existence. She is the essense of why I can't write recently, because condensing an inarticulate summary doesn't work. I don't know what to say really, and don't feel as though I have a whole lot to contribute. Honesty isn't all that pretty most days, and I don't like being insincere. To romanticize flashes of my experience seems like a cover up for the majority of days which leave me cynical. Timing is seeing me through an encounter, one which I have yet to gain distance and perspective on. So sitting in the thick of it brings me a range of unsorted emotions. I am ready to go, yet I'm not. I will continue to learn, and I am already aware of what I will miss. It's women like her, who's unforgiving persona penetrates the core of me, and overwhelmes me with both clarity and questions. She has strength to overcome things I never will need to, and she articulates without a word. She is a mother, she is profoundly complex, she is Zambia, she is the world.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I continue to learn from you Ashley. The human experience is often beyond words. I am deeply grateful for your thoughts even when they feel inadequate in the midst of your experiences. I think of you often - and am sending a virtual hug! Thanks too for the photos. Makes me want to travel with my big brother. :-)

Anonymous said...

You have experienced an overwhelming amount this year and done it with eyes wide open and a big heart. I have been amazed at your perceptions and your reflections during the course of this year, and you will likely spend the next 10 sorting it out. I can't wait to talk to you in person. I haven't written much this year, but followed with interest the entire time. This most recent entry caught my attention especially the lines "I don't know what to say really, and don't feel as though I have a whole lot to contribute. Honesty isn't all that pretty most days, and I don't like being insincere." Pretty profound. Blessings to you as you finish...

Joy said...

A simple reading doesn't begin to give understanding to all the meaning you have packed into the words your wrote - and the words you didn't write. Powerful, complex yet simple - very real. I can picture her, and you with her. Lots to think about - lots you are thinking about. Blessings in these last days.

rl said...

Ash... what can I say... I wish I could return to Zambia to sit at the train station in Chome (remember our 1st walk after being stranded inside for almost a week? :) and talk to you for hours... this is such a beautifully written reflection. I shared it on my blog, I hope you don't mind. I want others to gain these insights as well. Buchas! Ren

Kathy said...

I 'hear you' re life not always being so pretty... and that the life of the old woman is one that has no doubt been a very tough one. I'm sure that you'll be receiving lessons from your experiences for months/years to come. May God Bless you and continue to make you a blessing in your last weeks in Nakeempa.